Modern Quilt Guild Mini Swap 2020

This is the quilt that I made for my partner for the Modern Quilt Guild Make a Mini, Make a Friend Swap for 2020.

For this swap, the Modern Guild has you identify your likes and dislikes.  My partner likes lots of bold colour, blacks, purples, pops of teal, pink, orange or lime.  I also wanted to bring in the Pantone colour of the year - Classic Blue.  That blue is is the blue floral print, solid and geometric, and the blue grunge!
The technique I'm exploring is called "Interleaving".  I've seen this design over the last few years and love it every time!  These minis are perfect opportunties for exploring :)

From these fabrics, I created two strip sets, and added a cut of grunge onto each.
I added a strip of grunge onto each strip and made a tube.  Laid the two tubes out and marked this beautiful curve with my longarm ruler from  Gadget Girls.  I cut both tubes at once (with my scissors to cut inside the tube), and ended up with these two pieces.



I decided to use the quilt-as-you-go method, so had my backing prepped, and pressed fusible batting to that, and a 1" marked fusible grid on top of the fusible batting.  The grid was to help me keep things lined up.  

Then the slicing and dicing begins.  Alternating pieces, I cut a 1 1/2" strip from each piece.  The pieces get turned so you're cutting the strips out across the multi-strip, and the curves are the edges.  

Build and build until you get to the top!  Lay the cut strip on top of the last one, sew it down, press the seam, sew the next one.
Finishing is just trimming and binding.
My partner also likes text prints (as do I!)  So the backing is this fun text.  The binding was created from leftover strips of the sets.

We were able to share some sneak peeks along the way, I provided this teaser ...
I'm loving this interleaving method and will do lots more exploration!  Here is the blog post that got me started ... http://lorrie.cranor.org/blog/2014/01/19/how-to-make-an-interleave-quilt/

I am loving these little swaps - great opportunities to connect to someone new, try new things!