Client Quilt: Retro Gaming


I got a call earlier in the year asking if I would be interested in quilting a quilt for a new client.  Of course!  Love meeting new clients and working with them.  This quilter is just so much fun.  Peeps, please meet Quiltoni!  

From her Facebook page:  "Toni has been selling her original Comic Book and Video Game quilts at conventions for years. Her pattern line of pixelated quilts teach the basics of quilting while teaching experienced quilters new techniques. She also travels to teach classes, lecture, and give trunk shows."

Toni also happens to be an ambassador for both Northcott fabrics and Gutterman thread.

This quilt is made entirely from Northcott's Toscana fabrics - with their subtle tones that feel like suede. They quilt beautifully too! Toni also had some Gutermann thread for the longarm for me as well, and it worked really well in my Bernina Q24. No breaks, no baubles, just beautiful stitches. The quilt will hang at Spring Quilt Market and Toni is running a quilt-along featuring this quilt. So, no pressure at all ...

Here is a nice closeup of one of the blocks, before quilting ... and after ...
My intent with the quilting was to emphasize the pixelation effect. So I did a basketweave in the background of all the squares.

I really like this block - he also got some flaming moustache.  Finding a continuous pathway through the character was a bit like finding your way through a maze, which added a layer of challenge and fun.


I had the quilt loaded on the frame with the longest side parallel to the bars, so I didn't even figure out what the gold/blue character was until I was looking a photo of the finished quilt!
The coins have quilted coins bouncing all over the gold areas.

 Here it is, hanging in Toni's booth at Spring Market!

And here she is!  (Both of these photos are from Toni's Facebook page.
If you're at Spring Market, be sure to stop in at booth 1706 and say Hi! 

The batting is Quilters Dream 80/20.  I *love* this stuff!