Client Quilt - What Goes Around Comes Around


The stories that quilts can tell!  This client quilt is called "What Comes Around Goes Around", created by @mcpn_husker.  Megan and I met through The Modern Quilt Guild "Make a Mini Make a Friend" a few years ago, and we've kept in touch.  I was honoured to quilt this for her!
The rulers for this quilt were my trusty rulers from Quilters Apothecary, the graceful swoop of the Gadget Girls ruler, and a circle.  The quilt was created in response to the Monochromatic challenge of Megan's Omaha Modern Quilt Guild challenge.  The circles are inset into the background, and the two solid colours are in the circle print.
And here it is sporting its new First Place ribbon, Best Improv Award, at the Nebraska State Fair.
Megan gave me free reign to "quilt as desired"!  This quilt spoke to me in a few ways - with all of the negative space in the background, I had lots of room to play.  One of the cues I chose was from the print were the paisleys with their daisy centre - that spiky centre is echoed as the centre of the feather designs.  
This style of quilting is my interpretation of Karlee Porter's "Graffiti Quilting", with some of Julia Quiltoff's "Doodle Quilting" too - I've taken courses from both of them, they're both amazing educators!
The three circle insets were quilted a bit differently - with just curves, with curves starting offset in the circle, and with a curved crosshatch.
Those fills were echoed in the background quilting.
A few basic designs, changing scale, flowing from one into the next.
The colour is a bit off on the photo above, but I really liked the curvy ladder stitching, and the arches filled with more arches.
The texture is so yummmmmy!
Here, it's still on the frame.  The play of the shadows is mesmerizing.
This is the back - I did change threads for the two colour regions and that shows here.  It's easier to see the filled texture of the feature circles here, and the starry points in the centre of the feathers.
The quilt is 63" x 74", and we used Hobbs 80/20 for the base layer, and Quilters Dream 100% wool for the top layer of the batting.  It's the wool that gives the unquilted areas its beautiful dimension.
My Innova M28 recorded almost 155,000 stitches in this quilt.

The thread for this quilt is Hab 'n Dash Glide in "Navy" for the dark blue, "Lagoon" for the aqua area.