Maple Leaf Quilt

This Maple Leaf Quilt from Scraps is deeply personal.
Here is where it started - a magazine article from March 8, 1977, in Family Circle.  I wrote a blog post on the start of this quilt's journey - find it here.  March 8 happens to be the birthday of my husband, her eldest.
The article recommends using a used but unworn queen size sheet for the back, a twin sheet for the front blocks.  Green polyester for the sashing, and washable scraps for the leaves.  Cardboard for creating the templates for the leaves and stems.
The maple leaves were cut from fabric scraps from dresses, aprons and other creations, of both my MIL and her mother.
My MIL had appliqued some of the leaves on a few blocks.  The other leaves had been cut out.  The squares to applique the blocks to, were precisely measured and square, using the method of pulling out one thread to create the cutting line.
I finished appliqueing the leaves and created the quilt top.  I quilted veins on each of the leaves.
The quilt label briefly tells this quilt's story.
Here, my MIL is on the deck at our cottage, admiring the quilt.  
She passed Feb 21st, and her urn rested on the quilt at the funeral home.

Every quilt has a story, and I love this one!