Garnet Facets

 This quilt started with our London Modern Quilt Guild's Block of the Month.  The program for 2022 is a traditional block made modern, with colours inspired by the gemstone of the month.
Traditionally the deep red, garnets can also come in shades of green, orange and yellow.
The inspiration block is the one in the lower left, above.  A log cabin block using varying widths of logs, and the inner block quite prominent.  My improv inspirations led me to a few variations - the other three in this batch of 4, are quarter log cabins.
And the experimentation continued, using a stack, slice & shuffle technique.
The original inspiration block is in the centre of the photo above.  
The explorations continued, with a few points created.
At this point, I am really regretting my colour choices.  It is just soooo busy.  I decided to create a calmer border of improv rail fence blocks,  Three sides are bordered.  I like assymetry!
In hunting for a backing for this quilt, I discovered that one of my wide backs, a Henry Glass "Primitive Spiced" has the same colours as the quilt top! 
The colour difference between my living room today, and the manufacturer sample is pretty striking.  The colours below are much more representative.  
To bring a little more calm to the quilt, I selected the digital design created by Maureen Foster (Humble Bee Quilting) called "Maureen's Sunflowers".  A bright, light and happy design with beautiful leaves and swirls.


The quilting thread is Hab 'n Dash Glide "Prickly Pear", a chameleon thread that looks amazing on just about everything.  

My Bernina Q24 with QMatic recorded 120,064 stitches.  I used Arctic's Poly batting for durability.